RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:55:33 -0700

> You can't set the mark without activating it.

C-u C-SPC

Or just turn off t-m-mode.

> > or deactivate it. If you never want an active region, then
> > turn off t-m-mode.
>
> I already said that I'd consider transient-mark-mode _off_
> again a good solution and have an active region for shift-selection,
> mouse-selected, and explicit temporary transient-mark-mode.
> In which case I don't mind delete-selection-mode much since it
> is in effect only for explicitly selected _regions_ instead of
> being a side-effect of using the _mark_.

You don't mind d-s-mode if it is no longer d-s-mode. Nice.

> I have heard no arguments against that.

Sure you have, and from more than one person.

1. Other things being equal, inconsistency between mouse and keyboard wrt the
region is bad (yes, it's already bad that we have some such inconsistency, IMO).

2. t-m-mode as the default has already been decided. You want to rehash that
whole debate, diverting the current discussion to repeat the last one. I don't.
So for that, I will not repeat the arguments in favor of t-m-mode given the last
time this was debated. Suffice it to say the t-m-mode was enabled for good
reasons. If you don't remember them, then please go read the archives.

3. Just as it is useful for you to set mark and move somewhere to create the
region for your purposes, so it is useful to do that to create an active region.
There is no reason to give you that possibility for an active region (e.g. C-M-h
to select a defun) but not have the same thing available for selecting an active
region.

It is not right to try to relegate active selection to shift-arrows and the
mouse. FWIW, I almost never use shift selection to select text. (I do sometimes
use the mouse.) What's useful for the goose is useful for the gander. Region
definition should be as flexible and multifarious for an active region as for an
inactive one.