RE: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:56:57 -0700

> > More importantly, it's consistent with the existing semantics of
> > transient mark mode.  Many Emacs commands act on the region
> > when it's active, and it seems natural for DEL to be one of
> > these commands.
> >
> > By contrast, it's not clear to me that self-inserting
> > characters ought to "act on the region" in the sense of
> > replacing its contents.
>
> As I understand from counter-arguments, opponents agree with
> self-inserting characters replacing the region, but only when
> the region is activated explicitly, and not by side-effects of
> setting the mark or exchanging the mark and point.

Not this "opponent". I agree with self-inserting characters replacing the active
region _always_, no matter how it was activated. That's the point of "active".

And I hold that the region should be activated simply by setting the mark or
exchanging the mark and point.

IOW, I disagree (strongly) with changing the behavior of d-s-mode. If you don't
want to make d-s-mode the default, so be it. But please don't mess with
d-s-mode.