Re: read syntax for window configs

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: read syntax for window configs
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:48:33 +0100

> I've attached code that works for XEmacs.

Thank you for posting this.  It won't work out of the box for Emacs
because Emacs lacks `make-window-configuration' and `make-saved-window'.
Can you post their definitions here or tell us a page on the net where
we can look at them?  Do they check a configuration for integrity (e.g.,
whether the combined window sizes match those of their parents, that of
the root window the size of the frame, ...) before mapping the frame?
Can you restore on machine A a configuration saved on machine B when A
and B have different toolkits?

Also, am I right that the `next-child' field denotes the right sibling
of the window?  And, how do you translate back from pixel values (like
`pixel-left' ... ) to normal line/column values?  Do you?

Finally, do you have any ideas how this would integrate with a thing
like ECB?  For example, how would ECB find its editor window in a
restored configuration unless we make such a property part of the save
configuration?

Thanks, martin