Re: read syntax for window configs

From: Michael Sperber
Subject: Re: read syntax for window configs
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:09:58 +0100

http://hg.debian.org/hg/xemacs/xemacs/file/45753d9a0dc4/lisp/window-xemacs.el

> Do they check a configuration for integrity (e.g., whether the
> combined window sizes match those of their parents, that of the root
> window the size of the frame, ...) before mapping the frame?

Yes: Since all restoration happens from Lisp, there's no way to get
anything inconsistent.

> Can you restore on machine A a configuration saved on machine B when A
> and B have different toolkits?

I don't see why not.  You're not always going to get an
identical-looking configurations because the original frame will be
gone, but as close an approximation as the code knows how to recreate.

> Also, am I right that the `next-child' field denotes the right sibling
> of the window?

If I recall correctly, it depends on whether windows are going right or
down.  It's just whatever `window-next-child' returns on XEmacs.

> And, how do you translate back from pixel values (like `pixel-left'
> ... ) to normal line/column values?  Do you?

No, we don't.

> Finally, do you have any ideas how this would integrate with a thing
> like ECB?  For example, how would ECB find its editor window in a
> restored configuration unless we make such a property part of the save
> configuration?

I don't know anything about ECB, so I don't really know.  However, I
would think that it needs to remember the name of the buffer to find the
window, or remember the window's place in the layout.  (That's a general
issue with window configurations, but it becomes very clear here -
there's no way to preserve window identity across sessions.)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike