Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:28:51 +0200

>> This discussion was started as a response to requests from beginners.
>> Enabling `delete-selection-mode' by default was proposed as a way to
>> satisfy them.  But if we change the default, we don't have to use
>> `delete-selection-mode'.  We could use something different for this
>> purpose if it is more suitabe.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Let's finish with the original proposal, at least, to get that out of the way
> one way or the other. Depending on that decision, we can always consider other
> changes.
>
> Given d-s-mode _as it is_, do people think it should be enabled by default?
> That's the question.
>
> If the consensus is strong enough that in its current form it should not
> become
> the default, fine. But let's at least give Juri's proposal a clear judgment.

No, that's not what I meant.

Even though I referred to delete-selection-mode, that's only because
it is the mode that currently implements the necessary functionality.

Often moving some functionality into the core requires redesigning its API.
For instance, implementing shift-arrows required adding a new option
shift-select-mode instead of enabling the equivalent functionality
from an existing package like s-region.el or pc-select.el.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/