Re: next emacs version?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: next emacs version?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:35:54 -0400

On Mar 19, 2010, at 17:23, Drew Adams wrote:
>>> Won't some builds of 24.0.50.1 have the change and some not?
>>
>> No.  The trunk was switched to 24.0.50 only after the 23.x release
>> branch was cut.  So all development versions before that would have a
>> version 23.x.y, and all the versions after it will be 24.x.y.  The
>> first officially released version that will have it will be 23.2.
>
> OK in this particular case, but the general question remains. If this change
> had
> been made in a 23.0.50.1 dev version (or whatever the nomenclature is), then
> some such dev versions would have the change and some would not.

Unless you want to start putting bzr revision numbers into the emacs version
string (which I think is a bad idea), that's going to be the case.  Version
numbers like 23.0.50.1 apply to a long string of development revisions.  If you
need discrete points in time where you can distinguish "fixed before" from
"fixed after", that's what releases are for.  If you (=> users of your, Drew's,
code) want to experiment with development versions, it shouldn't be too much to
ask for you to keep fairly current, or at least update before complaining about
bugs.  (And if you want to ship non-released development versions to your
friends or customers, you're on your own.)

Ken