Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Uwe Siart
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 06:42:01 +0100

> However, note what Alan wrote.  Maybe some of the users of
> those other programs think that Emacs is better.
> [...]
> Alan's point is that one ordinary user dislikes what most programs do
> today.  She dislikes it in the other programs, and she would dislike
> it in Emacs too if we made Emacs do it.

Absolutely right. That's the point. Full ACK. So called "modern user
interfaces" really suck. To tell my story I came to Emacs exactly
because I hated the way how other editors work. Can't work with 'em.
They drive me crazy with their buttons and tabs. Emacs is a lot better.
But certainly you have to practice it just like you have to practice
playing musical instruments. But you can't seriously argue that an
electronic toy keyboard is better than a grand piano because newbies get
faster results with it.

Please don't adapt Emacs too much to "modern applications". We don't
need this. There are plenty such editors for those who like them. What
we need is Emacs as an efficient alternative to those crappy user
interfaces everywhere around.

--
Uwe