Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:15:33 +0100

> We have testimony that some ordinary users want self-inserting
> characters to delete the region (which they have made with the mouse).
> We have testimony that one ordinary user thinks that same behavior is
> a pain.  I am sure both reports are factually accurate, but where do
> we go from there?
>
> It would be useful to find out what some larger number of ordinary
> users think.  How many want self-inserting characters to delete the
> mouse-selected region, how many are glad it doesn't, and how many
> don't care?

With mouse-selected regions, I don't care.  Alan has stated that he
often inadvertantly marks one-character regions when intending to merely
position.  I don't think that this happens often to me.

With shift-selected regions, I don't care either.

Both selection methods are something that focuses on marking a region: I
don't think one would use shift-cursor movements just so that one can
jump backwards conveniently with C-x C-x.

We don't want too many different region types if it can be avoided.

I we might all be able to get agreement on the following (anybody in
disagreement please holler):

Let's make shift-selection and mouse-selection _identical_ with regard
to the outcome, with regard to visuals and semantics.

Both of those selection methods (unless done accidentally) very much
focus on marking a _region_, not on putting point somewhere and cleverly
leaving a mark somewhere else.

I think (or hope so) that we all can converge on _those_ two cases
better being the same.  And I don't even think we need customization to
allow making them different.  I would also think shift-extending a mouse
region and vice versa should work fine.  So I don't think we need to
keep a history telling those two things apart.

If we can all agree on that, we have removed some of the complexity for
further decisions.

--
David Kastrup