Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:58:51 +0900

>     I think it is a very good suggestion to be able to have one color for
>     regions that act in way compatible with almost every editing
>     environment and one that acts in the way special to Emacs.
>
> I have nothing against this feature, but I point out that choosing
> another color, and making it properly distinctive in two different
> color environments (dark background and light background), is not
> going to be easy.

Even if you can find good colors, it's still a dreadfully bad interface.

Having different colored regions, which act sometimes-the-same,
sometimes-differently, is maybe _slightly_ better than having
_identical-looking_ regions which act that way, but it's still very hard
to use, and confusingly non-obvious (especially for naive users).

-Miles

--
Laughter, n. An interior convulsion, producing a distortion of the features
and accompanied by inarticulate noises. It is infectious and, though