RE: Bell

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bell
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:17:37 -0700

> > If some people don't like the currentl visual bell, maybe
> > we can come up with a better one.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MilesBader#echo-area-bell

What's pointed out by the discussion so far is not that the bell should go away,
or that it should be replaced by the visual bell, or that the visual bell should
be improved, or that `ding' should be called less, or that `ding' should be
removed, or that `C-g' should not ring the bell.

Rather, what's called for is a way to mute `ding' in a flexible way. What Juri
suggested wrt putting a silence property on function symbols, and what I
suggested wrt binding a silence variable, would provide what's needed. And maybe
there are other suggestions.

Once we have ways to flexibly silence `ding' in various contexts, then we can
decide just where to do so. And users themselves will be able to easily do
likewise.