Re: Should Emacs have an upgrade procedure?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Should Emacs have an upgrade procedure?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:55:16 -0500

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:41:52 +0100 address@hidden wrote:

j> Should Emacs have an upgrade procedure?
j> Here's a user story:

j> - The user has just installed Emacs 24, previously having running
j>   Emacs23
j> - The Emacs splash screen shows a message: "A number of defaults have
j>   been changed between Emacs 23 and 24. Would you like to go through the
j>   changes, or just enable them?". This message is NOT shown if the user
j>   previously had expressed an opinion about these particular defaults.

I think assistant.el (in Gnus) could be used to automate this.

j> OK, you get the picture I suppose. Good or bad? There are elisp
j> libraries out there that already implements this of course.

Any specifics?  I didn't know of such libraries.

Ted