Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:27:12 -0400

    1. Is the proper comparison here merely the _number_ of (ordinary) users in
each
    camp? Shouldn't the _relative cost_ in pain and suffering be factored in?

We should consider that.  If you teach a beginner to use Emacs, you
can take note of the details of the scenario and how the person
reacts.

I expect that the pain will be similar in the two cases, because in
both cases it does something undesired to your text and you need to
fix it.

    3. Also, Alan's sister reportedly does _not_ use type-to-replace
    outside Emacs, in any case. She explicitly hits the delete key
    before typing replacement text.  IOW, she has presumably already
    learned to avoid the pain for the most part. Can we assume the
    same would likely be true of the other users in her camp?

Whether they have all learned habits to protect themselves against
the painful situation is relevant, as you say.

However, the practice of typing DEL explicitly when she wants to
delete does not protect against an unintended deletion when she
doesn't want that.