Re: bad default faces now

From: Zhu, Shenli
Subject: Re: bad default faces now
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:19:04 +0800

On 03/22/2010 03:35 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
The default faces were changed after Emacs 23.1, and the
result is worse, IMO.

I don't care for myself, since I don't use the default
faces, but see the attached screenshot. The faces for
the comment, the variable name, and the doc
string are all about the same.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
   of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'
I think the new face in 23.1 is very clear, at least better
than default face in 22.x. Can you attach the face you use
for comparison?
I don't understand what you're saying or what you're asking.
Me too, and sorry for my poor English :)
The faces in Emacs 23.1 are OK. And as far as I can see they are the same as in
Emacs 22.3.

It is the faces in the pretest I cited that are worse.

I'm not crazy about the default faces in Emacs 22 or 23.1 either. I agree with
the motivation behind the change that was made after 23.1: the doc-string text
is too pale.

All I'm saying is that the current default has faces that are commonly used
together that are too similar: similar in hue, saturation, and brightness.
What I mean is maybe you have a better face set?
Both the variable-name face and the doc-string face were apparently moved closer
to the comment face. The variable-name face and the comment face are nearly
indistinguisable now, and all three are very close.

Beyond pointing this out, I really don't care much. If no one else thinks this
is bad, then ignore.