Re: finder.el UI

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: finder.el UI
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:04:10 +0200

> I tried it and it's a browser that deadends at the commentary.  Wouldn't
> it make sense to at least let the user browse the original package
> sources?  But this is still much better than the old finder and I would
> get rid of the old one.

It is possible to implement Info links to source code like
links to http are already implemented.

There is also a related task in etc/TODO:

  ** In Emacs Info, examples of using Customize should be clickable
     and they should create Custom buffers.

These should be another type of Info links to Custom buffers.

> JL> Please note that I don't propose to use this package as is
> JL> in package.el.  I'm referring to its UI that would be useful
> JL> for package.el.
>
> So I'm a little confused.  Is the jurta.org finder proposed for Emacs
> inclusion?  Or is info-finder the way to go?

No, it's not proposed for Emacs inclusion.

> Either way, users who look for packages also like to install and
> activate them, so IMHO it makes sense that all the finder UIs should
> link to package.el installation+activation somehow, either internally by
> calling package.el functions or externally by launching package.el, when
> it's part of Emacs.

I think package.el should have its own UI designed for its requirements.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/