Re: GDB on Mac is (NOT) Broken

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: GDB on Mac is (NOT) Broken
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:32:34 +1300

 > I tried your code with removing the line (setq gdb-version "pre-6.4")
 > in gdb-apple-test, because set-process-coding-system should go to the
 > then-clause.

Yes, it shouldn't be there.  Sorry, it was just a cut and paste error
from gdb-get-version.

 > (I'm not familiar with this at all, but should Apple versions be
 > regarded as pre-6.4?  On Mac OS X 10.6, the first line looks like `GNU
 > gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1346) (Fri Sep 18 20:40:51 UTC
 > 2009)', and `server interpreter mi -stack-info-frame' results in
 > `^error,msg="No registers."'.)

Apple generally merge in FSF GDB changes so they are broadly similar.  The
pre-6.4 tag is just a crude way of finding what MI features GDB will have and
does this by testing if -stack-info-frame is present.  Your actual version is
actually < 6.4 but I think we can leave this as it will be correct to a first
approximation.

 > It avoided the hang in completion, but in the
 > " *partial-output-yourprog*" buffer, ^M was already added because
 > "server show version\n" was executed after "server interpreter mi
 > -stack-info-frame\n" which triggered the addition of ^M.  How about
 > checking the result of "server show version\n" before "server
 > interpreter mi -stack-info-frame\n"?

Sure.  I don't think it matters to other platforms where it goes.

I think it should go in both the branch and the trunk but I defer to Stefan
or Cyd on the former.

--
Nick                                           http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob