RE: next emacs version?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: next emacs version?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:39:14 -0700

>> This is a common occurrence/predicament. I (and I assume others
>> too) sometimes get bug reports for my libraries that really amount
>> to Emacs dev changes "breaking" things. Much of the time my answer
>> must be "Too bad. I don't support ongoing Emacs development. Wait
>> until the next Emacs release".
>
> What's the problem?  That is the correct answer (modulo the addition
> of "patches that work before and after the Emacs change welcome", if
> appropriate for your development policy).

There's no problem. That is exactly what I do.

But as I mentioned, in some cases a minor change to my code can enable users to
keep using it after some Emacs dev change. And so I sometimes make such a change
to help them out, though still with no commitment to keep things synced and
working wrt a moving dev target.

IOW, I do this kind of update only exceptionally, and only if the change is
minor and I expect that the dev code will be fairly stable wrt the change.