Re: Translation of http status code to text

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Translation of http status code to text
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:54:18 +0200

> SM> The symbol part depends on the rest of the patch: what do you use the
> SM> symbol for?  Do you even need it?
>
> I was going to change url-http.el like so, in url-http-parse-headers:
>
>        (case url-http-response-status
>          ((url-http-code-multiple-choices) ; was 300, uses defconst
>           nil)
> ...)
>
> and I thought generating the defconsts would be best without dynamically
> generating the symbol name as "url-http-code-%s" from the symbol in the
> table.
>
> But instead I can say (url-http-code-number 'multiple-choices).  It's
> really a matter of taste.

Please don't add symbols.  Developers prefer to refer to numbers.

The "number to text" mapping is necessary only to display codes
in a readable form to users.  Please re-read Lennart's original
request:

  Is there a list in Emacs for translating http status code to readable
  text (like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes)?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/