Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:18:41 +0100

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:58 AM, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>>> But other than that, shift-selection should be the same as t-m-m-style
>>> selection as far as possible -- for instance, there should not be a
>>> different set of commands available for "shift-selected" regions than
>>> there are for regions created using traditional Emacs commands.
>>
>> I think some of these problems have been addressed in cua-mode. Maybe
>> it would be good to use what is in cua-mode more?
>
> Er, what "problems" do you mean?  Shift-select (without CUA mode) works
> quite well currently.  What I'm arguing against is David/RMS's apparent
> goal of making shift-select _worse_...

Extending the region with movement commands.

> [and CUA mode is generally such a mess that I'm very skeptical of
> adopting anything from it...]

I do not think such general negative remarks are helpful.

cua-mode is useful, very useful for us that are used and use other
editing environments too. It solves some nearly unsolveable problems
in Emacs - in my opinion the best way it could be solved with the
support that was possible to get when cua-mode was written.

So part of the structure of cua-mode possibly comes from the
resistance to it. If you care about that structure, please make
suggestions for how to improve it (it will may require changes to
Emacs in other ways).