Re: hashcash removal from Gnus? does anyone use it?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: hashcash removal from Gnus? does anyone use it?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:10:20 -0500

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:52:10 +0100 address@hidden (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

AS> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:08:20 -0500, Ted wrote:
>> Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or sender side)?

AS> I still send them, but only because I liked the idea not from any
AS> observed actual benefit.

AS> I seem to remember that SpamAssassin looked at HashCash, though.

AS> Any reason to remove it?

It's all over message.el, which is used outside of Gnus.

Also it's a lot of code (29 matches with grep) that very few are using.
We tend to accumulate cruft in Gnus and I'd like to get rid of at least
the obviously unused code.

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:19:50 -0400 Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

GT> I include hashcash on outgoing mail, and have spamassassin give negative
GT> points to incoming mail with hashcash tokens.

GT> Are you asking if hashcash should not be generated by default, or if
GT> support should be removed?  Making it non default seems reasonable, but
GT> removing it seems unwarranted unless its presence is causing a
GT> maintenance hassle.

I think we should put it in contrib and enable it only through special
setup, rather than through message.el direct support.  I asked for a
count exactly so I can find out if that's warranted or if I should leave
it alone because it's more popular than I think.

Ted