Re: d-s-m default: Nil + explanation!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: d-s-m default: Nil + explanation!
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:24:24 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Memnon Anon
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to give a small explanation, why I think Nil is the better
>> default.
>
> Thanks for giving your opinion.
>

>> I think changing to D-S-M as a default is throwing dust into the eyes of
>> the new users: Emacs is different. And without a minimal willingness to
>> read the documentation, one will certainly fail.
>
> I see no reason that they should have to read something before they
> can do even the simplest editing.

There is no point in reverting to polemics until we have even decided
what we are talking about.

For example, there was one proposal that the equivalent of
delete-selection-mode was enabled for all marking operations (mouse,
shift-selection) that new user would be tempted to use, coming from
other editing environments.

This proposal was basically shouted down with "I want
delete-selection-mode for all and won't accept less", and with polemics
of the "even the simplest editing" kind.

Any attempts of mine to narrow down the issue to separately decidable
(and configurable) issues have been ignored: one or two postings later
we are back to polemics.

--
David Kastrup