Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:44:51 -0400

>> Just as for shift-select-mode, I'd rather not use symbol properties to
>> put this information, because it's a property of the command, not of
>> its name.
> This means introducing 4 new `interactive' code letters for:

Of course not.  We can do it without any letter at all (use the Lisp
form of `interactive' specification), or with just one letter (with an
argument specifying which kind of d-s-m applies).  I.e. this is
a non-issue.

> But we are short of available code letters.

Actually I don't see we're short at all.  We have 32 chars used right
now, and while we can't use all of ASCII, there are more than 64
chars available.

> And it's not clear how to choose a letter with good mnemonics for
> their effects.

How 'bout ASCII 127 (aka C-?) ?

        Stefan