Re: highlighting non-ASCII characters

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: highlighting non-ASCII characters
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 01:32:53 +0100

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> To me it looks like IDN is the most important. Is not this a
>> derivative work from "confusables"?
>
> How IDN will help to highlight characters that look like other characters?

All this is new to me so I might have misunderstood it. However it
looks to me like the IDN (which I have supposed means IDentifier Name,
but maybe that is wrong) chars are selected so that the characters
choosen are not easily mistaken for other chars.

And I suppose that as many characters as possible has been included in IDN.

If my assumptions are right, would then the non-IDN chars not be the
ones to mark?

>> Perhaps it is useful to implement "confusables" too. Do you have any
>> idea of what to mark there then?
>
> You can mark all characters mentioned in confusables.txt.

Yes, I thought of that (if someone can explain why and when it may be useful).

>> (And what would actually differ from the IDN case?)
>
> What do you want to use IDN for?

I thought they were choosen to more safely create URLs, programming
symbols etc. Is not that the purpose?