RE: Tweaking t-m-m to make room for d-s-m

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tweaking t-m-m to make room for d-s-m
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:53:13 -0700

> Couldn't C-x SPC be used to activate the region (without changing
> point and mark)? It seems unused and is easier to type then
> Alan's suggestion. -- Mathias

C-z

That would be just as handy for this as C-g is today.

Keep one of `C-x C-z' or `C-z' for `suspend-frame', and use the other to toggle
region activeness. I don't see why we need to sacrifice two such useful (and
easy-to-type) keys for `suspend-frame'.

Look at all of the other simple `C-' keys. They are all still used often, and
they are all still pretty good choices.

But C-z for `suspend-frame' (instead of some other key) is just a vestige, left
over from a time when there was not much competition for that key. It was no
doubt picked because of its similarity to C-z in UNIX to put a job in bg. Not a
big deal to change that key now, IMO.