Re: highlighting non-ASCII characters

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: highlighting non-ASCII characters
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:50:26 +0100

2010/3/26 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:35:36 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> TZ> We can have a [:confusable:] character class defined in src/regex.c.
> TZ> That lets us find these characters.  It could be generated from the TXT
> TZ> database and augmented with our own mappings.  But there's grouping
> TZ> information, so maybe that should be available too.  For highlighting we
> TZ> don't need grouping information, but the user would find it useful to
> TZ> look at a glyph and find out that it looks like 3 other glyphs.  So this
> TZ> can be in a Lisp-level data structure like a hashtable with list values.
>
> I forgot to mention this RFC is relevant as well, section 2.2.6:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4690.txt
>
> Like the IDN character class, the discussion centers on homoglyphs
> inside domain names, but it mentions general relationship-based
> confusable detection and points to further RFCs.

Thanks, but what would the difference be to try confusable detection
instead of chars outside IDN?

I believe marking confusable chars would also mean marking those
confusable chars that have been decided on in IDN.

Perhaps they could also be handled in another way (for example helping
switching/rotating the confusable chars, all or one-by-one). Would
that be useful?