Re: Windows 9X compatibility (was: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_netw

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows 9X compatibility (was: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:17:21 +0300

> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:28:13 -0600
> From: Christoph <address@hidden>
>
> On 3/27/2010 10:55 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > How is this not a concern anymore?  We didn't stop supporting
> > Windows 9X, did we?
> >
> Microsoft did. Why don't we?

Last time we checked, the majority of machines in the 3rd world used
Windows 9X.  The GNU Project doesn't want to be unfriendly to computer
users in those countries.  Maybe things have changed, but someone will
need to show figures, and ask FSF to reconsider.

> Are there plans on dropping support for these ancient OSs instead of
> kludging backwards compatibility into the system?

What ``kludging backwards compatibility''?  All we do is load some
libraries dynamically instead of linking against them statically.  The
rest of back-compatible code was written years ago and needs zero
maintenance.