Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:12:53 +0300

> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:33:43 +0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >> We already use functions from ws2. I think effort was made in the past
> >> to dynamically load it when required, because network support was not
> >> always installed on early versions of Windows 95, and because loading
> >> the library at startup caused a dialup dialog to pop up when the default
> >> network connection was a dialup connection.  Neither of these is
> >> probably a concern anymore, so it might be better to simplify the code
> >> by with linking ws2 normally.
> >
> > How is this not a concern anymore?  We didn't stop supporting
> > Windows 9X, did we?
>
> Does anyone still install it without ticking the networking support box,
> as was still common in 1995?

Is there any good way of finding this out?  If not, we will probably
never know.  And what about old installations -- they could still want
to upgrade their Emacs.

What about the issue that led to the code in question -- do you know
if `connect' can be interrupted by C-g on Windows?  Do you have an
opinion about applicability of that code to Windows?