Re: Windows 9X compatibility

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Windows 9X compatibility
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:24:28 +0200

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>

> Maybe the fact that there are no more active maintainers of the
> MS-Windows port is somewhat related to the pain in the rear that W9X
> compatbility is?

I think this might be true. I saw some signs of that when I first
started looking into the ms-windows port.

> Furthermore, the claim about lots of *running* machines on
> underdeveloped areas still having W9X is dubious now. AFAIK, people
> transitioned to Windows XP when powerful enough obsoleted machines
> arrived, which started to happen about 6 years ago.

The first intranet web-server I built was running on w9x. Due to
severe problem with ms word background conversion to html on this pc I
switched to experminenting on that old pc with nt4. To my surprise nt4
required a lot less resources so it ran much smoother on the old pc.

So I doubt that we need to support w9x because of old pc:s. But maybe
someone is running w9x just because they can't get their hand on nt4
or xp of course.