Re: Windows 9X compatibility

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: Windows 9X compatibility
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:27:03 -0600

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:39:01 -0600
From: Christoph<address@hidden>

The need is in my opinion a growing pain in the rear-end to support this
backwards compatibility.
This argument can only be persuasive if it comes from someone who
personally experienced this pain, which could only be true if they are
active maintainers of the MS-Windows port.
You are right. I have not experienced this pain myself, but I have read the source. I see the function "is_windows_9x()" and where it is being used and other comments like "Visual Studio 6 cannot do this", "MSVC's stat doesnt support UNC and has other bugs" which led to code being added to eliminate these deficiencies and support old OSs like Win9x or old compilers like MSVC 6.

I am just wondering, if this really needs to be there and if anybody ever looks into replacing these functions with native Windows code in the latest version of their development tool chains. If it makes the code cleaner and less prone to breaking with added features or bugs, wouldn't that be worth it?

Also, I am not saying the guy looking into something that couldn't be myself. In fact, I guess the whole discussion was prompted by me trying to find a way to contribute. Maybe I should have picked a less controversial subject matter. ;)

Christoph