Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:23:08 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I understand the virtues of maintaining support for older systems, but
>> the prospect of maintaining support for non-networked Windows 95, when
>> there's no one to use or test or develop that support, does not fill me
>> with enthusiasm.
>
> As far as I understood from what Jason said, the issue is not with
> non-networked systems, the issue is with popping up the system's
> dialup dialog when Emacs starts (and loads ws2_32.dll).  Apologies if
> I misunderstood.

I may have been wrong about that problem being connected to the loading
time - it is connected with the init_winsock function being called (the
standard advice is to call it at startup, but we delay it in Emacs until
networking is actually used for the first time).  It should be easy to
test this problem - disable any network devices you have, and configure
a modem connection (you don't need to connect it to a phone line).