Re: anything.el inclusion

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: anything.el inclusion
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:25:19 -0500

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:38:52 +0200 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

JL> What do you think about the following idea for package.el?

JL> To every package handled by package.el add a new parameter that tracks
JL> the package's "popularity".  This could mean either the number of
JL> downloads from the server that hosts these packages, or to add UI
JL> where users would be able to vote for a package.

JL> Then we could sort all available packages by popularity in package.el UI,
JL> so the top packages are objective candidates for inclusion in Emacs.

A package "score" could be useful.  But it should not be based on
popularity, it's better to simply listen to what people want in mailing
lists, on the Emacs Wiki, etc.  So I'm not opposed to scores but they
should be optional and curated by each repository's maintainer.

If the maintainer chooses to use popularity as the only score component,
that's their choice.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:58:14 +0300 Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:

YR> This is the exact kind of of thinking that makes me want to avoid any
YR> centralized system such as package.el. Centralized systems like these
YR> makes people start thinking of all kinds of "benefits" the centralized
YR> system can bestow on users without the users ever asking for them (or
YR> knowing they exist).

package.el will not be centralized in the form that goes into Emacs.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:35:46 +0100 Johan Busk Eriksson <address@hidden> wrote:

JBE> A popularity contest? Please let me opt-out of that.

I don't think package.el should be the agent to generate popularity
scores.  If the repository maintainer wants them, he can analyze the
server logs.

Ted