Re: Serious performance problem with process output on Mac OSX

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Serious performance problem with process output on Mac OSX
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:54:54 -0400

Adrian Robert <address@hidden> writes:

>> I suspect unneeded calls to one of the icon/icon_type methods in
>> nsfns.m or the miniwindowimage methods in nsterm.m are causing this.
>> Someone could try shortcircuiting these in the source and seeing if
>> the problem still obtains.
>
> I went ahead and tried this.  The culprit was an unneeded
> ns_set_icon_type() call.  The attached patch cleans this up by
> removing some HAVE_NS special handling in xdisp.c.

Thank you very much.

I've checked your patch into the emacs-23 branch.  Can you verify that
this also fixes the performance problem reported in
[http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2056]?  I assume it's the
same problem.

One other thing I noticed which looking through the code is that the
Nextstep port assigns a special value, `t', to frame-title-format, and
processes it specially.  Is there any reason to do this?  If not, I
think this should be removed; this looks like a misfeature to me, since
it is not compatible with the variable as documented and can confuse
other people's Lisp code.