Re: Serious performance problem with process output on Mac OSX

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Serious performance problem with process output on Mac OSX
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:05:30 -0400

On Mar 30, 2010, at 3:43 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

>> One other thing I noticed which looking through the code is that the
>> Nextstep port assigns a special value, `t', to frame-title-format, and
>> processes it specially.  Is there any reason to do this?  If not, I
>> think this should be removed; this looks like a misfeature to me, since
>> it is not compatible with the variable as documented and can confuse
>> other people's Lisp code.
>
> Ah, OK -- this variable and value was checked for in the code I moved in my
> patch, but I had no idea it was set specially by NS lisp code.  I'll look
> into it.

IIRC, NS displays the file's name as the title and requires you to set it that
way if drag&drop of the file proxy icons (displayed next to the name of the
frame) is supposed to work.  That's all standard functionality on NS or at
least on the Mac.  If the frame name is different, I think drag&drop doesn't
work right.  See xdisp.c:9503ff and also ns_set_name_as_filename() in nsfns.m.

Introducing a ns-* variable to override would confuse users (frame-title-format
won't work as expected), but if we set the file name with this NS function iff
ns-frame-title-format is "%f", then that would be consistent with the other
platforms.