Re: major mode in new buffers

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: major mode in new buffers
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:15:03 -0400

On Mar 30, 2010, at 7:57 AM, René Kyllingstad wrote:
> new buffers get default-major-mode. I would find it more convenient if
> auto-mode-alist was used.

Maybe not auto-mode-alist, but an extended form of magic-mode-alist.

I often create "untitled" buffers to be saved later, and they start out in my
default mode.
Or, I edit some shell script that doesn't have a file name extension, so the
major mode isn't set initially.

After the first few lines, wouldn't it be nice if magic-mode-alist was applied
(if reliable!) and changed the major mode?

We don't want an MS Word Paperclip ("You seem to be writing a letter!"), but
some major modes are recognized reliably.