Re: make dist target for Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make dist target for Windows
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 10:44:25 +0300

> Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 09:23:56 +0200
> From: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
>
> > However, as this option is a close relative of `strip', I'm afraid
> > that it might not work, for the same (unknown) reasons stripping the
> > dumped Emacs executable doesn't work.
>
> How does the breakage manifest itself?

"strip emacs.exe" produces an emacs.exe that Windows refuses to run,
saying that it's an invalid executable.

> It seems to work on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu), but I haven't run it
> extensively.

Oh, this is a Windows-specific problem.  My guess is that either
unexw32.c does something wrong, or maybe the special sections we add
with addsection have that adverse effect.  Someone who knows their way
in binary executable formats on Windows should look into this.