Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 22:13:22 +0200

Juri Linkov skrev 2010-04-01 20.02:
I've published a new branch (I hope, it is the first time I do this) that
adds Gtk+ tabs to Emacs,

Great!

it is at bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/gtk-tabs.

Why the branch name is gtk-specific?

Because it is an example of toolkit tabs, in this case very Gtk+ specific. Just to see how native toolkit tabs looks and behaves as opposed to for example tabbar.

I've been thinking about merging the non-toolkit tabs,
but this branch name is too restrictive.

Well, branches are easy with bzr, so just create your own :-).

The TODO file talks about tabs on each window.  To make this happen, at
least for Gtk+, each window needs to be its own widget, instead of one
widget per frame as we have now.  This is a bigger task.

Tabs on each window is what tabbar.el already does.  I'm not sure
if Gtk+ tabs are necessary for every window.  Maybe what's need is
to improve tabbar.el to use its own dedicated header window, because
currently it conflicts with modes that use the same single header line
(e.g. Info, proced, ruler-mode).

I guess stuff like drag and drop for tabs don't work for tabbar? That would be one difference if we where to mix the two. I'll vote for either toolkit tabs or non-toolkit tabs, but not a mix.

        Jan D.