Re: What have the Romans done for us? (Bazaar)

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: What have the Romans done for us? (Bazaar)
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 16:14:47 +0900

chad writes:

 > In the meantime, I'm now using bzr, because of emacs....  Probably
 > at least several others here are as well, so there's hope for it to
 > improve, as long as the growing pains aren't too onerous.

As somebody who has been following the Bazaar list for years, and the
main protagonists on the GNU Arch list before that, all I can say is
"good luck".

The Bazaar focus remains what it has always been: supporting as many
features and workflows as possible.  For example, substantial effort
(ironically enough) is going into making Bazaar a good front-end for
git repositories, and another main thrust is the GUI "Bazaar
Explorer".  Another developer is busy working on a speed optimization
of "bzr log" that "only" expands the size of repos by a factor of 10
(in the prototype, of course it will get better, but clearly he is not
aiming at reducing the size of repos).  As (IIRC) Óscar reported, the
Bazaar developers think Bazaar 2.x is fast enough, and most users who
post do seem to agree (in fact, recently I've seen complaints only
from address@hidden users, ie, Emacs and GRUB -- most users don't use
Savannah or Launchpad, of course, they use either local repositories
or the smart server.)

I suggest that you should make your own luck.  Bazaar's development
process is relatively open, perhaps better than Emacs's --
specifically, I mean that they have a formal mentoring process for new
developers (grep for "patch pilot" in the Bazaar list archives).
Nobody would object to patches that speed up bzr.