Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:59:07 +0200

>     For that reason, people with some interest in the rights to their own
>     computer may keep an older Windows installation around for software that
>     can't run on free platforms.  Usually off-net since Microsoft does no
>     security updates to those versions.
>
> If there is a substantial pattern of running Emacs on Windows 9 on
> machines off the net, that means it would be useful to support Windows
> 9.

As I said, I doubt that the installations I am thinking of (like mine)
have need for a text editor.

It's probably more relevant that people may be running old systems in
the third world, and "upgrading" is not an option due to computing
resources and (non-OEM) operating system pricing (if people can be
bothered about the legality of their copies).

There probably are not many Emacs users on those systems either.

> We still have no commitment to support any nonfree operating system.
> The users who want this are welcome to work on it.

Well, I thought that the topic of _this_ discussion was at what time it
becomes ok to rip out existing support for older systems.

I have no idea.  I was just countering the statement that there is no
use case for older Windows systems.  With me, the licensing conditions
of newer systems (and their net-requiring phone-home functionality I
can't afford without the ability to do security updates) are
prohibitive.  But my use cases indeed do not require Emacs.

--
David Kastrup