Can we make border width zero by default?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Can we make border width zero by default?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:28:10 +0200

Hello.

While looking into bug 5848, I experimented with border width (not internal border width). The default is currently 2 pixels. I'd like to set that to zero.

The reasons are that some window managers (metacity at least) overrides this and sets zero anyway. Other window managers like compiz make the border on two sides transparent and black on the other two. Probably this is some effect applications can take advantage of, but for Emacs it just looks strange (see screen shot).

For the Gtk+ port, border width has no effect, it can't be specified in Gtk+-functions and it is hardcoded to 0 in the Gtk+ code.

Any thoughts?

        Jan D.

PNG image

PNG image