Re: Messed up display and incorrect handling of `face' specs on before-s

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Messed up display and incorrect handling of `face' specs on before-strings
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 14:54:13 -0400

>> The first and 3rd issues seem to be due to the fact that `face'
>> properties on the before-strings of the overlays aren't obeyed except on
>> the first line.  And the second is the same problem but for the
>> `display' property.
> Can you construct a simple test case that shows these problems?

If you look at the code, it's pretty simple.

> I tried a few, but they all seem to work, so I probably do something
> differently than nhexl-mode.el does.  Specifically, I don't know how
> to simulate ``non-first lines''.

If you set nhexl-point to some integer value and then run (nhexl-jit
(point-min) (+ 30 (point-min))) without enabling the mode, you should
get just two overlays and the problem is already visible there.

I think the trick is to have two consecutive overlays, the first with an
after-string and the second with a before-string.

        Stefan