Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99848: (compilation-save-buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99848: (compilation-save-buffers-predicate):
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 23:13:33 -0400

>> - Please don't autoload defcustoms unless you have a *really* good
>> reason to do it (and even then, ask permission first).
> I autoloaded this one because its sibling compilation-ask-about-save
> is autoloaded.

Thanks.  So we can remove this ;;;###autoload (sadly, removing it from
the other variable is not so easy because we first need to check
whether some code somewhere relies on it being autoloaded: that's one of
the reason why we don't want to autoload vars, since once it's done,
it's difficult to go back).

>> - I like where this is going, but I'm not sure this is enough.
>> Could you explain how you see it being used?
> if you edit a huge file which is expensive to save, you do not want it
> to be saved whenever you start a compilation elsewhere.

;-) that part I understand of course.
But I mean what value do you expect users to use it with?
Would they globally set it to save one particular directory of theirs?
What if they have more than one project?
Part of the question is because Customize doesn't know how to set/handle
defcustoms other than globally.

>> Could you also explain why `compilation-directory' can't be
>> used instead?
> because if you are working on a project foo and compile in directory foo/src,
> you do want to save buffers editing foo/headers/baz.h,
> but it is not under compilation-directory, which is foo/src/.

Can you imagine a way to make it "work automatically", maybe assuming
some particular convention that's followed half-often or that would be
easy to adjust to?

        Stefan