Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:04:16 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>
>> Why not using a stack of patchs like stgit or mercurial qpatchs.
>> You can then apply these patchs to bzr repo.
>
> I don't see how stgit improves anything.  Also, I'm using git-bzr
> because I need to fetch the mirrored commits back into Git immediately
> after pushing, and I'm not sure how often the GitHub emacs mirror
> updates itself.

I use http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git

This repo is converted to a hg repo locally.
I have cloned this hg repo to another hg repo that handle qpatchs.
So i have three repos:

git, hg, hg qpatch.

1) on git repo: git pull

2) on hg repo: hg convert <last git revision>
   (when the repo exists, hg convert is as fast as a pull)

3) on hg qpatch repo: hg pull

4) make some new patchs on hg qpatch repo (i use DVC and
anything-mercurial.el)

5) Then you can send patchs to Emacs or apply these patchs to bzr repo
directly.(your patchs have to be in git format)

The same can be done with stg.(with only 2 repo)

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/