Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 03:17:07 +0300

> When describing such a feature, it would help to compare and contrast
> it with tabbar.el, with which many people are familiar. Similarly, it
> would help to compare it with tabs in other apps.

I'm a big fan of the tabbed UI in different apps, mostly in web browsers
since mid-1990s.  This feature is a real efficiency booster that helps
to organize the workspace.

The most natural entity in Emacs to display in a tab would be a window
configuration.  Actually, something like this is already implemented in
Konqueror where you can split the window vertically/horizontally in a tab.
If you try it, you will understand how convenient it is.

In the screenshot I sent, you can see Back/Forward buttons that expose
in UI a useful feature existed for a long time in winner.el (currently
winner.el is not used directly since it should be modified to support tabs).
This will work like History Back/Forward buttons in web browsers.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/