Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99848: (compilation-save-buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99848: (compilation-save-buffers-predicate):
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 21:04:37 -0400

>>> if you edit a huge file which is expensive to save, you do not want it
>>> to be saved whenever you start a compilation elsewhere.
>> ;-) that part I understand of course.
>> But I mean what value do you expect users to use it with?
>> Would they globally set it to save one particular directory of theirs?
>> What if they have more than one project?
> this is problematic because compile does not announce what it's working
> directory is.

Any reason why we can't fix that?

> I can add a variable compile-default-directory which will be nil globally
> and bound to default-directory in compile and recompile; then the users will
> be able to set compilation-save-buffers-predicate to
> (lambda ()
>  (string-prefix-p
>    (locate-dominating-file compile-default-directory "foo")
>    (file-truename (buffer-file-name))))
> so that only files located in the currently compiled project are saved.
> here "foo" should identify the project root, it can be, e.g., "configure" or
> "COPYING" or "README" or "OMakeroot" or "ANNOUNCE".
> we can also use "bzr root"/"hg root" instead of locate-dominating-file.
> this, however, becomes more and more expensive.

How 'bout this:
- we provide some way for the user to explain to compile.el how to find
  her projects's root directories (e.g. a list of tell-tale file names).
- then we provide an option to "save only files in the current project".
- and we can also provide an option to "cd to project's root before
  running the command".
How does that sound?

        Stefan