Re: No toolkit scrollbars with --with-x-toolkit=lucid

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: No toolkit scrollbars with --with-x-toolkit=lucid
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:40:24 +1000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> You have to have Xaw3D to get Xaw scroll bars.  Xaw has scroll bars, but
>> I think there where some incompability problems with Xaw3D, and so only
>> Xaw3D is used in Emacs.
>
> AFAIK the code worked fine with Xaw scrollbars, except that the
> configure/make scripts don't provide an option to use them, mostly because
> the "no toolkit" scrollbars provide pretty much the exact same appearance
> and behavior anyway.

Years ago I contributed code to XEmacs to detect, at runtime, a problem
I encountered in practise: that a version of XEmacs compiled for Xaw, running
against Xaw3D[1], would crash because the ABI changed with the same soname.

I have no idea if this is at all related, but IIRC there were some problems
with Linux distributions, and perhaps beyond, that resulted in this causing
real-world issues.

This may, or may not, have anything to do with why the feature is disabled in
GNU Emacs, but may be a point worth noting.[2]

        Daniel

Besides, most of the Xaw problems are dead by now, I suspect, save for the
rare custom build done by individual users.

Footnotes:
[1]  ...or maybe it was 3D vs some other NextSTEP-like Xaw set.

[2]  ...and I am happy to assign copyright of that code, using my existing
     Emacs contribution agreement, if y'all want to pick it up or anything.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ address@hidden            ☎ +61 401 155 707