Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:44:51 +0200

Angelo Graziosi skrev:
Still some observation...

Suppose one starts Emacs, a single frame with 38 lines (Emacs.geometry: 80x40-0+0 in .Xdefaults, for example). Now suppose one creates some tabs: M-x tab-new. The lines now are 37 because one line is that of tabs and the frame has the same size (height). If, now, one deletes the tabs, the lines remain at 37 but the frame has the height shorter by one line. Repeating this procedure the lines become 36, 35,... and the frame shorter, shorter...

Is this to be the right thing? My opinion is that the frame should have always the same height and the line should be 38 (N) or 37 (N-1) if the tabs are visible.

Emacs tries to keep the frame size so an integral number of lines just fits. But tabs aren't (in general) exactly one or two lines high, so some resize will occur. I made some fix.

I also made tab-mode a minor mode so it can be turned off by customize.

        Jan D.