Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:19:30 -0400

> I'm not a big fan for making things general just for the sake of making
> things general so we maybe in the future can add something we don't know
> what it is now.

It's not just making them more general.  It's making them work in the
"right/natural" way.  In Emacs this usually means among other things
that clicks on it should generate Elisp events caught via a keymap and
that the list of tabs should be specified by Elisp code.

> Are there any concrete examples of other uses?

I can imagine switching the buffer of one of the windows (in an ECB-style
frame, for example).  In mpc.el I could imagine using it to switch
between various selections.

> I still think window configurations are the "natural" thing, as this
> is how tabs are used in web browsers, other editors, IDE:s and so on.

No one is arguing against that.

> But implementation for the primary use case (window configurations)
> should not have to suffer because of other uses.

I still don't understand what kind of suffering you're referring to.
If you could describe more concretely (e.g. what kind of undesirable
user-behavior could happen in which case and why).

        Stefan