Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 17:06:59 +0100

Jan Djärv wrote:

Are there any concrete examples of other uses? I still think window configurations are the "natural" thing, as this is how tabs are used in web browsers, other editors, IDE:s and so on. That doesn't mean that tabs must be exclusively about window configurations.

I'm still not sure about this. At least the Gtk+ notebook model still suggests to me that the most natural thing to put in some toplevel outermost tabs for gtk purposes might be the emacs frames themselves.

I also still like my idea of tabs being a sort of third "depth" axis emacs windows are split on. Then such (interior*) tabs would be /an aspect of/ window configuration, not something that switches /between/ window configurations.

e.g. changing frame from window configuration
A to window configuration B involve rearranging the horizontal, vertical, and tab type window splits:

A:                              B:

 ________________________        ________________________
|              |         |      |                        |
|              |         |      |______   _______________|
|______________|         |      |__/__/__/__/____________|

A: horizontally-split into 2 then LHS vertically-split into 2. Lower left then "tab-split" into 3 tabs.

B: vertically-split into 2. Upper then "tab-split" into 4 tabs. Lower tab-split into 2 tabs. First tab then vertically-split into 3.

I suppose it doesn't preclude the outermost set of tabs switching between window configurations. Or frames. Or even outer tabs containing frames, second level switching window configurations of frames, and further interior tabs being split-window type. Sigh.

Anyway, talk is cheap - you have working code and I still don't, despite previously mentioning this months ago now, I haven't really been working on it.

The implementation can easily be made to do tabs also for "other" lisp-based uses.

I'd also point out again there's a completely different sort of tab to consider - an emacs widget that is a tab notebook, that embeds _in_ a buffer like other emacs widgets for customisation.

That's little to do with your sort of tabs apart from my concern there's some possibility some non-window-configuration-switching use cases some people might be envisaging for tabs might be better served by a tabbed/notebook presentation composite emacs widget.