message-mode and VM

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: message-mode and VM
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:41:30 +0100

Dear Emacs developers,
As some of you know, I have been maintaining VM recently.  I have heard rumours
that Emacs was going to make message-mode the default mail-sending package, and
came here to check what was being done.  I was glad to see that there was some
very hard debating about the issues, but I am afraid I found more heat than
light :-)

In any case, I am writing to let you know that VM doesn't have its own
mail-sending package.  It uses Emacs mail-mode.  Specifically, it depends on
sendmail.el, mail-utils.el and mail-extr.el.  So, if mail-mode is going to be
obsoleted, you will need to tell us what corresponding functions we can use
from message-mode.

Minor changes in the user interface will be ok, as long as they are properly
documented in the info manual.  The current manual of the message-mode is not
quite up to the mark.  Most VM users are serious professionals with email
forming an important part of their work, and I am afraid they won't have the
stomach for Gnus-style manuals.  So, a rewrite of the message-mode manual
should be regarded as an essential part of the project.

I believe that there are quite a few Emacs-based mail clients right now.  I
don't know how all of them treat their mail-sending functionality, but I
wouldn't be surprised if more of them are continuing to use mail-mode.  So,
they would also be affected if mail-mode obsoleted.

Cheers,
Uday