RE: `completion-in-region'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `completion-in-region'
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:12:01 -0700

> > I see that ido implements it by turning "abc" into the regexp
> > ".*a.*b.*c".  But matching this regexp against a string like
> > "abababababab" takes time O(N^3) where N is the length of
> > the completion candidate, which makes me a bit uneasy
>
> Does not "^a.*?b.*?c" give the same matches?

(Why do you write `.*?' ?)

Anyway, I think the point is that users can already, today, match in this way
using a pattern that includes special chars (wildcards), but that the request
was to be able to just type `abc', not some pattern like `*a*b*c'.

People who like such ~fuzzy matching don't want to mess with extra chars - the
point is to type a few chars quickly and get the effect of typing many.