Re: Guile in Emacs

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:44:21 +0100

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Someone -- that is to say "someone" -- should just rip Emacs Lisp out
> of the C part of GNU Emacs, bind the best parts of that stuff to
> Guile, and start *there*.  It's not a small job but it's also not a
> "more than a decade" job.  It could have been started much more than a
> decade ago.  It'd be, in my view, a giant leap back towards the vision
> of a GNU system that was shared among several key GNU hackers back in
> the early 1990s and earlier.

I wonder.  Looking at the list of Guile applications doesn't give me the
impression of a guile-using GNU ecosystem just waiting for Emacs to
join.

Wouldn't it be about as good (and probably less work), to give up on the
guile idea and evolve emacs lisp (with Miles's lexical-bind changes, and
(one hopes) multithreading, and maybe other things)?

[...]